Published on October 3rd, 2012 | by Christian Cawley0
Hugh Quarshie Joins Bond Audiobook Actors
If you’ve been following our reviews, you will of course know that James Bond celebrates 50 years on the silver screen this year, first appearing on celluloid in Dr No, which shares the anniversary this October.
It forged the way for a new cinematic genre with its suave yet ruthless hero, unforgettable criminals, fabulous international locations and clever gadgets. The original book, published in 1958, is equally thrilling, and now a new audio reading by Star Wars and Holby City actor Hugh Quarshie brings a unique sensibility and depth to this still topical story of potential nuclear mayhem.
Quarshie – who also appeared in 2007′s Doctor Who story Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, says that upon reading the Ian Fleming book after seeing the movie, he was immediately struck by a couple of differences:
He is tough, tenacious and obviously tremendous in bed. This is not a man who needs to spray himself with Lynx to attract women.
The opportunity to read the novel for AudioGo’s coming audiobook release gave Quarshie the rare opportunity to be one of the few black actors to have “played” James Bond. Given the setting in Jamaica and the heritage of British colonialism, Quarshie was amused at the thought of reading the novel
Dr No is just one of an outstanding 12-volume 007 Reloaded audiobook collection published by AudioGO, which has seen distinguished director Enyd Williams and Lucy Fleming of Ian Fleming Publications, working with an exceptional cast of British actors to deliver a completely modern approach to Ian Fleming’s original books. A number of the readers, including Rory Kinnear, Toby Stephens and Rosamund Pike, have previously starred in Bond films.
While the recordings can be obtained individually, 25th October will also see the release of a fantastic box set of the first seven titles in smart packaging – the perfect Christmas gift for any Bond aficionados. There are also plans to release the final Fleming titles Octopussy/The Living Daylights and For Your Eyes Only. As to which stars will be reading them … that’s top secret information.
- Dan Stevens star of Downton Abbey and The Line of Beauty, who reads Casino Royale
- Rory Kinnear star of Quantum of Solace and Women in Love, who reads Live and Let Die
- Bill Nighy star of Love, Actually, Pirates of the Caribbean and State of Play, who reads Moonraker
- Damian Lewis star of the hit TV series Homeland and Band of Brothers and movies such as Your Highness, who reads Diamonds are Forever
- Toby Stephens star of Die Another Day and Jane Eyre, who reads From Russia with Love
- Hugh Quarshie star of Star Wars – Episode 1, Holby City and Doctor Who, who reads Dr No
- Hugh Bonneville star of Downton Abbey, Notting Hill and Tomorrow Never Dies, who reads Goldfinger
- Jason Isaacs star of Harry Potter films, Awake and Case Histories, who reads Thunderball
- Rosamund Pike star of Pride and Prejudice, Die Another Day and The Libertine who reads The Spy Who Loved Me
- David Tennant star of Doctor Who and Hamlet, who reads On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
- Martin Jarvis star of Titanic, and voice of the Just William radio series reads You Only Live Twice
- Sir Kenneth Branagh actor and director in Henry V and Hamlet, star of My Week with Marilyn and the TV series Wallander, who reads The Man with the Golden Gun
007 RELOADED is exclusive to AudioGO, the UK’s leading audiobook publisher and distributor. Released on October 26th and with an RRP of £80.00, your can pre-order The Ian Fleming Classic Bond Collection, Part One for just £40 on Amazon! Note that individual releases are also available.